Friday, January 22, 2010

Safari Njema!

We had a great safari.  It was decided that we should take a short treck to Karatu to say goodbye to a place we love before we head out of East Africa for a while.  We know we'll be back, but we're not sure when or how, so it's time to say goodbye to the faces and places we love.  We still don't have our visas, but we know that when we receive word that they are approved, we will have to kick everything into high gear and we won't have time to go round to our favorite spots to say goodbye....this is our moment for that.  Plus, it was just Uncle Gogo's birthday and he LOVES safari.  So....we went.

Our usual friends were out and about, though with this very strange el nino season of wet wet weather and cooler than usual (not COOL mind you, just cooler than usual) temperatures....I think the animals are all a bit confused about what they are doing too. Still, they were active and hungry and funny and all the things the usually are.  Mommy got a bit close to a buffalow and he started looking mighty mad...then he started sounding mighty mad....so Mommy slowly backed the car up and when we were a safe distance away, and he had gone back to snacking on his grass, we turned the car around and left.  The giraffes seemed particularly serene and they were really in a family sort of mood.  And, the elephants were getting clean (and then dirty again as fast as they possibly could). I always have so much fun seeing them, and I'm a better spotter than anyone else is.  It's so strange....here I am sitting in the backseat, in a car seat no less, and still I'm the one who has to point out the animals to the adults....seriously, what is wrong with them.  I spent most of the safari saying, "see that giraffe?  See that monkey?  See that moon?  See that road?"  "See that....."  is my favorite new phrase. I spend much of my time in the car asking Mommy if she sees the road, to which she answers yes, of course, over and over until she decides to ignore me. 

Today we  had some swimming time at the lodge before we headed out to Ashley's art gallery and restaurant in Karatu.  For all of you who haven't been....you've got to go.  It's a beautiful spot with really good food and the art gallery is lovely.  Some very elegant art is hanging on those walls....not just the average tingatinga painting.  My countrymen have talent, and Ashely has it on display (and for sale).  Stop in...she's on the right side of the road, before you actually get to the town and right around the Gibb's Farm area.  Mommy's head was spinning all afternoon with ideas for our future.


Precious Cargo!

Why do giraffes like to eat this??
         
 Before she got mad!!

Taking a bath

So calm and serene....I want some of what they have

A family stroll...with the baby!

Mommy knows now....I need a masai blanket.  I LOVED pretending my towel was a masai blanket.

Drying off

A lizard is in the pool....oh my!

It's COLD

No comments: