Monday, April 27, 2009

Court

Boy, did this day start early. Mommy got me up when it was still dark outside, for heavens sake. What was she thinking?? Well, we got up and going pretty fast today and got all dressed up in nice clothes and headed out to pick up my BirthMom, Lillian and head to the High Court for an adoption appearance today. It was very rainy today and we had to wait outside the courthouse for about an hour and a half until the Judge was ready to hear our case. Mommy didn't want to put me down for fear of me getting myself and my nice clothes all muddy in the rain, so she stood and held me while I squirmed for and hour and a half in the rain. Geeze, the woman has stamina.

Then, we went in to see the judge. The social worker was there and mostly this seemed to be about setting dates as to when Mr. Panga (the social worker)'s final report would be in and when we could set the final court date. There were lots of references to the rules of law though...and all the lawyers and judges had their rule books out and kept reading from them. I was busy reading from my book, "I love you because you're you". I think my book was better!

Anyway....the grown ups finally set the final court date for 2 June. Then, the Judge asked to talk to me. He asked the grown ups if I preferred the name Lawrence (my old name) or Akira (my new name). Why in the world was he asking them what I preferred??? Well, I thought I better set him straight, if he has a question about me, he should ask me! So, I looked at him straight in the face and said VERY loudly, "A-KIR-A". Well, that got his attention. He is a nice man though, with a big, jolly laugh. Then he asked me another question about how I was doing today (he kept calling me 'young man'). Well, I told him how I was. I looked at him, again, straight in the face, and I pointed and gestured to get my point across and then I said, very clearly, "gobbledy gook, funbana fuduko mabanga wanono!" I went on for about 30 seconds while all the adults stared at me dumbfounded. I ended with great emphasis and then waited for their reaction. Silence and then a crowd full of laughing lawyers. The Judge thought I was VERY funny (which, lets face it, I am). I had fun in there and look forward to seeing them all again in 5 weeks. At the end, the Judge said bye to me, and I said it back to him about 20 times (wanted to be sure he heard me) and then I blew him kisses as we left the room....he was laughing as we closed the door behind us.

No comments: