Thursday, January 13, 2011

I am the Lorax and I Speak for the Trees...

I love the story of  Dr. Seuss about the Lorax and the Onceler who cut down all the trees and smogged up all the land, air and sea.  I especially love to read the end with my Mommy, where we say, "unless someone like YOU (and then mommy tags me to let me know that the Onceler is talking to ME) cares a whole awful lot, it's not going to get better, it's just not".  We work hard around our house to help out the Lorax, like only using 4 squares of paper when we go to the bathroom (mommy and I count them together so I learn how much I need) and turning off the water when we brush our teeth and not just flushing the toilet for fun, but only when we need to, so that the bears still have trees and the fish still have water.  It's all VERY important.  I get worried when I see a situation that I think the Lorax would not be happy about.  While we were in Seattle, we drove by a plant where there were lots of buildings churning things around and a lot of smog and smoke was coming out of the top of these buildings.  I said to my mommy, "uh oh,that is a lot of smog, the Lorax would not be happy!". 

Well, I know that the Lorax and the Onceler would be proud of me.  About a year ago now, at our house in Arusha, I planted two trees with David, our friend and the best green thumbed gardener around.  We had to leave Tanzania, at least for now, but David has stayed on at our house there and he is taking good care of our trees.  He just sent us some photos of our trees and how they are growing!  Thank you so much David for sending on the photos and wow....thank you for taking good care of our trees.  Hopefully all the bears, and birds and fish and people will be a whole lot better off if we can all just care a little bit more.



We miss you so so much David!

No comments: