Saturday, December 19, 2009

Dar es Salaam

I haven't written for a bit, because we traveled last week to Dar es Salaam to apply for our visas to become US citizens and enter the US.  It was quite a difficult week.  First the document that we needed to include in our application to the US embassy never arrived.  They were held up by the ministry of health because they said that they found poop in the container that they were in when they came from London.  That sounds just crazy to me.  I go to the bathroom in the potty so I can't imagine that someone would go to the bathroom in a container.  Anyway....that kept us in Dar for 5 days instead of 3.  AND, our package still didn't arrive. 

On the drive over we had company.  A little baby from the orphanage came with us so that she could get tested for HIV.  We really hope that she has a good outcome just like Shei Shei did back in February.  Shei Shei, Rachel (the baby) and I all rode in the backseat together for the 10 hour drive to Dar.  Mommy kept getting mad at me, but I just couldn't control my hands.  It was so fun to have a little baby to poke at, I couldn't seem to stop myself.  Sometimes it made Rachel cry though, which made Mommy mad.  I tried to stop....really I did, but I just couldn't.  Mommy didn't think I'd make it for the whole ride without having an accident in my pants so she put me in diapers for the car ride.  However, I asked about every hour to stop and go potty and so she'd pull the car over and get me out and I'd go by the side of the road, and I didn't need the diapers at all.  I didn't have one single accident!







Dar was HOT!  And our hotel room had air conditioning but it was very small.  And, there is really nothing to do in Dar....so we spent a lot of time in a very small hotel room.  Mommy got us out a bit each day to play but it was so so hot that it was hard to play outside for very long.  We also went to the US embassy every day we were there, for filing the paperwork, doing interviews and getting the grown ups finger prints taken so the FBI can check and make sure Mommy and Uncle Gogo are wanted felons. 







We had an ok time and tried to make the best of it, but I was sure glad to arrive back at home.  I really my nice big house and my nice big gardens and our wonderful climate at the base of our mountains.  Welcome home to us!!!  And, the doggies were all so glad to see us.

No comments: